Follow Us



1. Can I register on a part-time basis?

You may register for a part-time study for all or part of your candidacy. However, due to Immigration Service requirements, international students are not allowed to register as a part-time student.

2. What is the normal duration of a PhD study at STML?

Full-time students will have to complete their study between 4 to 10 semesters and part-time students shall take 6 to 14 semesters to complete. Where a student is a part-timer for the entire period, the maximum time allowed is seven years. This extended time does not apply if, at any time during the PhD course of study, a student undergoes a full-time basis. Where there is a doubt as to whether you have studied on a full-time or part-time basis, then the matter will be resolved by reference to the record held on the University's student database, which is the official record of the course of study.

3.  When is the student intake for the PhD programme?

The student intake is carried out twice a year, that is, in September and March. However, the application for our PhD programme is open all year round.

4. What is the structure of the PhD programme?

STML provides a structured PhD programme to assist candidates in successfully completing their research. The School continuously conducts research courses, research training series, workshops, colloquiums and symposiums.

Research Courses: Students pursuing the PhD programme are expected to have sufficient research knowledge and skills to enable them to conduct their research. Students who do not possess such knowledge and skills are required to register and pass the following two research courses:
1. SZRZ6014 Research Methodology
2. SCLE6014 Academic Writing

Symposiums: To assist students in their PhD research, arranged by the respective schools for students to present their research work. At least one (1) reviewer(s) will be appointed based on their expertise, provide feedback to the students. The students need to present their initial research ideas, research design and instruments to prepare them for data collection and present their research findings to prepare them for final write-ups and the viva.

5. Do I have to defend my research proposal?

Yes, research students have to defend their research proposal. Students are required to submit a written thesis proposal and defend their proposal to a committee consisting of two reviewers and a chairperson. The proposal shall include a research topic, and discussions on research problems, research objectives, research scope, research significance, literature review, theoretical framework and research methods. Students will be given a pass, a pass with minor corrections, a pass with major corrections, a rescheduled defence, or a fail. A rescheduled defence must be held within six months from the first defence. Full-time (part-time) PhD students should defend their proposal within the first 12 (18) months from the date of admission.

6. What if I can't defend my proposal within the stipulated time? What should I do?

Full-time (part-time) PhD students who do not defend their proposal within the stipulated time may apply for a 6-month (9-month) extension. You are allowed to apply for the second extension of another 6 months (9 months) if you still cannot defend the proposal within the extended time period. Failing to defend the proposal within 24 (36) months, a student will be terminated. If the extension is needed, you should fill up and send the Extension for Proposal Defence form to the Dean of STML.

7. How are students examined? Is there an oral examination (viva voce)?

UUM requires PhD students to submit a PhD thesis in fulfilment of the requirements for the PhD degree. In addition, students are required to defend their thesis at a viva voce. Prior to the viva voce, a Thesis Examination Board will be set up when the supervisor (or the Thesis Committee) decides that the candidate is ready to submit the thesis for examination. The Thesis Examination Board comprises of a Chairman, an External Examiner and an Internal Examiner. At the end of the viva voce, students will be given a pass, or a pass with minor revision, or a Conditional Pass with major revision, or a Rescheduled Examination, or a Master of Philosophy (M.Phil), or a fail.

8. What if I can't complete my study within the stipulated time?

If you are enrolled on a full-time basis for a PhD degree, you will be required to complete in a maximum of five years of full-time study. If you are enrolled for a PhD degree on a part-time basis throughout your enrolment, you will be required to complete in a maximum of seven years. An extension of time beyond the maximum may be sought from the OYAGSB Academic Committee. To apply for an extension, you should write a letter asking for an extension of time and stating the reasons for the application. Your request must be accompanied by a supporting statement from your supervisor and should be addressed to the Dean, Othman Yeop Abdullah Graduate School of Business. Only one specified extension of time is permitted, except for in exceptional circumstances. An extension cannot exceed 12 months, and is unlikely to be granted simply because you are having difficulties meeting deadlines. In an application for an extension you must point to specific, unusual factors that have caused delays. You need to be aware that the absence of your supervisor would not normally be regarded as grounds for an extension. The absence of your supervisor could only be used as grounds for an extension in special unusual circumstances, where the absence is unforeseen, sudden and due to critical circumstances. If your supervisor is to be absent from the campus for a period during a critical phase of your research, you would be advised to approach your supervisor well in advance to discuss the arrangements made to cover his or her absence.

9. What if I can't work or get along with my supervisor? What should I do?

Yes, you have the right to change your supervisor. To apply for a change of a supervisor, you should fill up the "Application for Change of Supervisor" form.  In the form, you are to set out the reason(s) for the change. Both the releasing and the accepting supervisors have to sign the form, indicating that they agree with the change.

10. What if I want to change to another PhD area of concentration or programme? What should I do?

You are allowed to change the area of concentration or programme only once during his/her study. An application to change the area of concentration/programme must be made within the first two (2) semesters of his/her candidature. An approval for a new area of concentration/programme is effective on the following semester. You must fill up the change of programme form. Application to change an area of concentration/programme must be approved by the Dean STML.

11. Do we need to find a supervisor before we apply to do PhD at UUM OYAGSB?

Students pursuing a PhD programme will be guided by one supervisor, or by one main supervisor and a co-supervisor, or a Thesis Committee comprising at least three (3) members. Prior to sending the application, prospective students are advised to search for the supervisor(s), communicate with them and get their approval of becoming a supervisor. Please visit our Directory of Experts to look for potential supervisors. UUM has many experts in various fields who are ready to supervise potential candidates. Send emails to several academic staff you identified form the website. You must complete and submit an application form together with your intent of study and evidence of the supervisor's approval to the Admission Unit, OYAGSB.

12. Is there any other information that I need to know?

Yes, there are several other requirements imposed by UUM especially to the international students.

1. All international students must have an insurance coverage prior to the registration. The cost of the insurance plan ranges from RM385 – RM600 per student per year depending on the plan chosen by the students. For a family coverage (student, spouse and children), the premium would be in the range of RM685 – RM1500 per family per year. For family members other than described above, they would be required to buy their individual insurance plan from the designated insurance carrier.
2. International students are also required to pay a student a bond (ranges between RM500 – RM2000 depending on the origin of your country) on the registration day, which will be refunded upon completion of their study.
3. The Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia has stipulated that all international students should undergo medical examination before they are allowed to register. The charge for medical examination and blood test is RM200.00 per student. If you have the following diseases, you may not be accepted to register as a student: HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Japanese encephalitis, SARS, and Avian Flu.

  • 00.png
  • 01.png
  • 1.png
  • 06.png
  • 8.png
  • 10.png
  • 11.png
  • 41.png
  • 51.png
  • 61.png
  • 71.png
  • 81.png
  • 91.png